Sunday, January 03, 2016

Making A Carrot Halva

Last night I decided to use up a two-pound bag of (pre-peeled baby) carrots and some milk by making gajar-ka-halva. It's a carrot halva, or pudding. I had to grate all the individual baby carrots, which was the hardest part. The next step was cooking the carrots in milk and two cardamom pods till it all came to a boil, then reducing the heat to medium until the milk was cooked away. That took about forty-five minutes. I then added ten tablespoonfuls of vegetable oil and fried the carrot mixture for thirty to forty minutes. This required constant stirring and folding. I added three tablespoonfuls of sugar and let the halva cool. This is the first time I've tried the recipe and it turned out well. I'd recommend against actually buying pre-peeled baby carrots, because grating them is very laborious. Should you want to try the recipe, it's in An Invitation to Indian Cooking, by Madhur Jaffrey (New York: Vintage, 1973/1975).






No comments: