Saturday, May 04, 2013

A Belated Acknowledgment of May Day (a.k.a Lei Day)

May Day is observed the world over in various ways. In Hawaii it's known as Lei Day and was celebrated with pageants. I don't know if schools observe it the same way they did when I went to school, but it was a huge deal, particularly in elementary school (e.g., Keaukaha in the early-to-mid-1980s).

Here's an article on a Lei Day pageant held in Hilo a few years ago.

General busyness and an illness in the family have precluded me from actually observing May Day this year (no lei, no wearing an aloha shirt), but I must acknowledge it, and sometime I plan to look for photos of old May Days, and share them.

2 comments:

Hattie said...

HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER.

Poppa Zao said...

Thank you. But I'm not ill; a family member is. I'll get in touch with you soon to tell you more.