Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Wastrel Show: Cancelled?

Boomie of The Wastrel Show blog has endorsed McCain, praising him in many of her recent posts. So I wondered how she was taking Obama's victory. Apparently the blog's been taken down, which I find curious.

Neither candidate really was (or is) an advocate of frugality in government. Boomie might've considered Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. After Ron Paul (who endorsed Baldwin), he was the thriftiest-minded presidential candidate this year.

From Wikipedia:

Economy
Baldwin says he would end all federal income taxes and phase out the Internal Revenue Service.[34]

Regarding tariffs, Baldwin has made conflicting statements. In an interview, he said "what I would propose is an across-the-board, general 10-percent tariff on all imports and that would meet the Constitution's prescription for financing the federal government—duties, imposts, tariffs"[47] which, he claims, would also help keep jobs in the United States.[48] But Baldwin's website says that "a tariff on foreign imports, based on the difference between the foreign item's cost of production abroad and the cost of production of a similar item produced in the United States, would be a Constitutional step toward a fair trade policy that would protect American jobs and, at the same time, raise revenue for our national government."[49]

He has said that as president he would streamline the federal government, and tap oil reserves in Alaska, the Dakotas, and the Gulf of Mexico. He believes the United States should return to the gold standard.[34]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for wondering about me. The vicious attacks and emails I received just because I said I was voting for John McCain were so vile I had to take down my blog for fear of physical harm. It was disgusting, to say the least.
That was the whole point of why I couldn't vote for Obama-the craziness of the supporters. The threats towards me proved my point.
But now that Barack Obama has won, I am very, very pleased. I couldn't turn my back on John McCain but the American people have spoken and I respect and admire their choice in President. It's a great day for America.
Barack Obama has a long and difficult path ahead of him but I am confident that he will be victorious. I stand behind Obama and wish him godspeed.
I just wish I could have been more respected for my voice. It is apparent to me now that the old style of thinking is gone. I represented the old.
The baton has been passed and I only want the best for all.
Goodbye.

Boomie
The Wastrel Show

Anonymous said...

@ Boomie - You continue to blame the email attacks based simply on the fact you were "voting for McCain," but it's more complex than that. Your last few posts about Obama were vitriolic attacks that no doubt incited and provoked readers whose buttons you pushed. You had a role in this mess. As they say, you like to dish it out, but...

BTW, contrary to you premise that only Obama supporters behave badly, it was McCain supporters who displayed ugly, rude behavior during his concession speech. They interrupted constantly with their booing whenever McCain mentioned Obama.

Too bad you had to pull your blog. I enjoyed reading many of your posts, although you have a penchant for attacking people who dare differ philosophically from you. I hope you reflect objectively about the tone you sometimes project. It can seem rude, cynical, arrogant, and fanatical. Is this the real you?

Now you are taking a completely different stance, and that is fine... So have a big slice of humble pie and learn from this experience.
Antonieta

bargainblog said...

Boomie: Shutting down your blog is exactly the *OPPOSITE* thing I would have expected from you. I would have expected you to confront those posters and give 'em hell! To be fair, there were fanatics on both sides of the aisle during this election. I think you would have gotten a very similar response if you'd come out for Obama. This election has really shown a side of my friends, colleagues, and family that I never thought existed.

Take a little time to let yourself and others cool off. But... you, at your core, are a blogger. Bloggers blog. Give 'em hell!

-- Best wishes, and I hope to see you blogging again soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am a blogger. I can't stop. I tried. But I am back. Here is my new site:
http://alldoorsconsidered.blogspot.com/

Listen, this is a new world right now. I realize it. Things are different now. We have a whole new America out there. We (meaning me) have to be agile and adapt. I was raised a traditionalist and a conservative BUT I ain't too old to stop learning.

There are many new doors out there waiting to be opened. I'm going to open them and learn.

The past is the past and I am ready to move forward. I deleted my old blog because that's what it was: old, based on old traditions, modes and ideas.

Haven't I always said: live and learn?

The (old Boomie) is now the new Morrison.

Anonymous said...

Since boomie used to leave anonymous abusive comments on my blog as well as real ones, I'm surprised s/he couldn't take the heat. Either that or boomie has an abusive person sharing the computer and IP address and commenting on blogs.

Not wanting more abusive comments, I'm not using my blog name or address here. Thanks.