Sunday, April 23, 2017

What Ever Happened to The New York Observer?

That's what I wondered this morning. I subscribed to it from 1999 till the mid-2000s, and every week or so, a pink broadsheet would come in the mail. And it was one of the most delightful and informative periodicals to which I've subscribed. I stopped subscribing well before Jared Kushner bought it. Searching online, I found
this.

DANA SCHWARTZ, ENTERTAINMENT WRITIER, THE NEW YORK OBSERVER: Hi. Thank you so much for having me.

CAMEROTA: So Jared Kushner is a pivotal player. He was during the campaign, he is during the transition, and he may be in the White House. He's basically your boss.

SCHWARTZ: Yes.

CAMEROTA: So from how he has run "The New York Observer", what do you think he brings to the table?

SCHWARTZ: It's interesting to sort of see what's happened to "The New York Observer" over the past few years. Definitely it's leaned more conservative than it has in the past. After the election it was announced that the paper edition of "The Observer" would be shutting down.

CAMEROTA: So the paper would be shutting down but it would still exist online. And was that just modernizing or was that because of some mismanagement? What reason was given?

SCHWARTZ: I think paper media, print media is suffering across the board. So I have to just imagine that it's moving forward.

----
The Wikipedia article provides a good overview.

It's just as well I stopped subscribing when I did.

The famous illustrator Drew Friedman remembers working at The Observer and dishes some dirt.

No comments: