Monday, September 16, 2013

Don't Know Much About History

David Barton Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Tickin'.

The people who believe in him will keep believing in him no matter how discredited he is among academic historians. If I found his books at the library book sale, where one can load up a box for a few dollars, I might buy them (as I have Tom DeLay's autobiography). Otherwise, no.

Popular American history books tend to focus on the American Revolution and the Founding Fathers, and the Civil War. These periods are not my interest, partly because they follow the same basic narrative or try to set an agenda, as Barton's books do. I have an abiding interest in German history, particularly the Wilhelmine and Nazi eras; American history of the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries (the recent scholarship on the `60s, `70s, and `80s is fascinating); and Asian history (Japan and India).

1 comment:

Hattie said...

My historical interests are similar, but the Weimar period fascinates me because this was the period when Germany modernized and went nuts at the same time. It's nothing I would have wanted to live through, but it's fascinating to study.