Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Style Council: 'Why I Went Missing' and 'Walls Come Tumbling Down'

From their album Confessions of a Pop Group (Polydor, 1988).



From their 1985 album Our Favourite Shop (Polydor, 1985).


23 September update: It dawned on me that Tears for Fears' lyric (see below) was a reference to Paul Weller's bands The Jam and The Style Council. (He'd dissolved The Jam and founded TSC so he could explore soul and jazz.)

The line "kick out the style, bring back the jam" that's in that and "Seeds of Love" Was that aimed at Mr. Weller?

Curt: Yeah.

I take it you guys were Jam fans and not Style Council fans?

Curt: Absolutely. But again, it was just meant to be funny. But people hear it and go, "Oh, that's very cutting." But it wasn't, it just sounded good and it also happened to mean something. That's funny, definitely a product of when you grew up. I love the Style Council and didn't "discover" the Jam until years later. I think the Style Council is awesome, but when I talk to a Jam fan they're like,"No that's crap!" Yeah, don't like the Style Council at all. Of course I can remember Vince Clark when he was in Depeche Mode and I liked him better then.

No comments: