Monday, May 12, 2008

Movies and Music

About 9.30 p.m. I found this Counterpunch essay declaring Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay the best film of the Bush era or at least the most subversive. The latter judgement makes more sense to me, as comedies and cartoons (e.g., The Simpsons, South Park) can usually get away with more pointed observations than can documentaries and live-action films, respectively.

I haven't seen it yet, but I just saw Iron Man this afternoon. The 1.45 screening room was packed so we decided to wait an hour in another room for the 3.00 screening. Not much to do for an hour, but I discovered two bands whose songs were playing on Movie Tunes before the movie started. The Red Button's "She's About to Cross My Mind" sounded just like something out of That Thing You Do! And the young jazz chanteuse Rosey proclaimed "It's a Ruse."

On Starz! in Black this evening I watched Holy Man and remembered the first time I heard (and heard of) Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing," playing over the ending credits of this movie, so I kept rewinding the tape to hear it. Of course, that song, and so many others, are online now. I found "Summer Soft" (just added to my list of music videos) on YouTube tonight.

No comments: